Formula One cars are some of the most expensive vehicles produced in the world. However, despite knowing bits and pieces of information, it is hard to determine the accurate cost of a complete Formula One vehicle. The total budgets and revenues from F1 are well-kept secrets, but according to some calculations, a single car costing around 7 million dollars is a great bargain. A steering wheel of a good Formula One car has the price tag that is higher than an average family car. Here are some more guesses on the particular costs of each part.
- Engine. An engine on a F1 car consists of approximately 1000 parts and takes around 100 hours to assemble. The lowest price of a single engine is around half a million dollars, and when you include the maintenance costs, it skyrockets to just under 5 million.
- Monocoque. The monocoque has to be built out of carbon-fibre components and it is bonded with strong adhesives. The price of one is around 100 thousand dollars.
- Telemetry software. The telemetry software is used by engineers to track variables during the race in real time. The price of a single one is around 100 thousand dollars.
- Gearbox. The gearbox enables drivers to change the gears without having to use a clutch. Instead, they use controls mounted on the steering wheel. The price of a gearbox is around 120 thousand dollars.
- Underlay. The underlay is one of the least expensive parts of a Formula One car. The price is around 8,000 dollars. It is bolted on the underside of the monocoque and it’s a separate floor to the car.
- Brakes. Brakes are not expensive per piece, but they have to be maintained and changes regularly. They have to be made of materials that can withstand tremendous heat. The price of one set I 3,000 dollars, but the lifetime cost is over 200 thousand.
- Steering wheel. The steering wheel is surprisingly expensive. The price goes around 30 thousand dollars, and the average steering wheel weighs over 2 pounds.
- Front and rear wing. The front and rear wings cost together around 40 thousand dollars, and they create around 55% of downforce.